You are here
Spelling for iPad: Any interested programmers?
This proposal is for an iPad spelling program with pre-made sets of spelling words and presented like lessons.
The spelling words are presented to the student in various ways:
1. [voice] choose letters to spell [spelling word] - student chooses letters from several bubbles containing letters with mouse or just types it out (would be good if this is settable per student
2. [voice] choose the misspelled word - list of 4 words, one of which is incorrect - use mouse or type number
3. [voice] spell [spelling word] - student types in letters
4. [voice] choose the correct spelling of [spelling word] - student chooses from list of 4 words using mouse or types the number
*** there is an option to say the instruction again on all formats
1. Refillable is spelled [R][e][f][i][l][l][a][b][l][e] - show word refillable. The morphographs in [word with more than 1 set of sounds] is [re] + [fill] + [able] Ie [greenness] = [green] + [ness]
2. [that] is spelled [t][h][a][t]. The sounds in that are [ththth] - [aaaa] - [t]
1. The lesson is extended if there is an error. The word that was spelled wrong will be re-introduced two words later. It will be need to be spelled correctly 2-3 times consecutively (not back to back, or in a row, but the word will need to be spelled correctly the next two times given).
2. If the word is spelled incorrectly more than once, then continue giving the word every two words until it is no longer misspelled. Ensure all words are spelled correctly from the keyboard.
3. The list of spelling words will be put into text files and uploaded somehow for the program. Not sure how the voices are to be done but it will need to link to the text files containing the word spellings & morphographs (green + ness).
4. The program is sequential so a student can't skip around in lessons.
5. It would be nice to track student progress for the teacher so that it contains the student name with the date and accuracy per lesson number.
6. After each correct selection or typing of a spelling word there is a voice generated "good job" type feedback. It would be very good if the type of feedback depends on how quickly the selection was made or typing was input.
7. A theme/screen would be great. For instance African wildlife with animals that move across the screen between spelling words [as long as it is quick].